This has been a historic season for the Maple Leafs with this crop of young and talented rookies. They have just been smashing franchise records left and right yet they are still not getting the appropriate level attention that they deserve.
Here are some of the incredible numbers these players put up this season.
Here are some additional records that got broken or tied in this historical season.
- Auston Matthews leads his team in points for the first time since Syl Apps did in 1936-1937.
- Auston Matthews has 40 goals for the first time since Mats Sundin (41).
- Nazem Kadri and Auston Matthews are the first pair of Leafs’ centres with 30+ goals since Darryl Sittler and Bill Derlago in 1980-1981.
- 2 rookies record a hat trick in a season (Matthews and Nylander) for the first time since Jack Hamilton and George Boothman in 1943-1944.
- January 13 2017 vs the Rangers was the Leafs’ first win on Friday the 13th in franchise history.
- Connor Brown has more even strength goals than Ovechkin, Simmonds, Seguin, Hoffman, and Kessel.
- Nikita Zaitsev got 36 points in his first season playing North American hockey.
- 5 rookies score in a the same postseason for the first time since 1940.
- Mitch Marner was the 12th teenager to score a playoff goal. (Matthews was the 13th)
- Auston Matthews is the first rookie since Logan Couture, and the first Leafs rookie to score in four consecutive playoff games. (Wendel Clark had three)
In seven short months, we watched this team mature and grow before our eyes. I can’t believe the season is already over, it went by like a blur. This Leafs team finally showed me what a legitimately good hockey club looks like.
The 2016-2017 Toronto Maple Leafs season is definitely one for the history books.
Image retrieved from: https://www.google.ca/search?q=leafs+rookies&safe=strict&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi_r7y32sDTAhXI8YMKHchiAPUQ_AUIBygC&biw=1423&bih=671#imgrc=6F-kNuxMID-BGM: